Friday, July 29, 2011

Creating a Monster

As a parent, there are many ways to create permanent "damage" to your child--even when you're not trying! 

So here is my warning:  Never buy your kid Day-Of-The-Week crap--especially if they are borderline OCD already! And more importantly if you don't do laundry at least twice a week! I made the mistake of buying Taytum Days-of-the-Week socks--adorable--had no idea they would make me late for work on a regular basis!

Today Taytum decided that she wanted to wear socks and tennis shoes about 4 minutes AFTER I had asked her to get her shoes on so we could go....not any socks would do...she wanted her Friday socks.  I did laundry yesterday so I knew I was in the clear--not exactly--my method of folding/putting away socks and underwear consists of dumping the basket into a drawer --no one has died yet people!  She found the first one instantly...9 minutes later...she finally found the missing Friday sock...thankfully no one in my office comes in on Fridays before 10am.

This is my fault--I caused permanent damage in Taytum making her OCD about her room and belongings (and now footwear!)....Those of you that know me well enough know I'm not exactly tidy.  Sooooo you would probably be shocked that Taytum is borderline OCD about keeping her room clean.  If I even sneeze in her room I get scolded! 

Well Taytum began asking for presents for her 9th Bday the day after her 8th.  One being a Nintendo DS--she can't keep a headband for 2 days so this was not something I was super pumped about getting her.  After a few days I came to the "brilliant" conclusion that if she keeps her room clean and shows that she's responsible by helping out around the house she could get one.  So as of Nov 15th 2010 she has slept ON TOP of her covers so that she doesn't mess anything up and refolds the laundry that I shove into her drawers and reorganizes her bookshelf on a regular basis.  I mentioned I'm not super tidy sooooo Taytum gets really nervous anytime I go into her room and warns me several times not to mess anything up.  It's funny but I can't afford a therapist so I'm a bit worried : / 

The funny thing is I've had lots of run ins with almost messing Taytum up permanently--I have no idea why I didn't see this coming! 

One night when Taytum was in Kindergarten she wanted Culvers--we had been there already earlier in the week and so I told her "no".  Well....one thing led to another and I thought I was doing the right thing by not pulling the "Because I said so" card but kids literally say "why?" consecutively until you give them an answer they are satisfied with--or that scares them into NEVER wanting fast food again (oops). 
Since Taytum wouldn't drop the "why" business I ended up spending 20 minutes explaining to her the effects of a High-Fat diet, heart disease, hypertension, atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes, yada yada (keep in mind she's 5 at this time)--this ended with her crying and saying she didn't want to die and never wanted to eat hamburgers ever again. At first I was delighted!  I would have one of those kids that loved healthy foods and I wouldn't have to worry about her making the wrong decisions!  Then panic--did I just give her an eating disorder?!?!  Eeeeeek! Luckily Taytum lasted maaaaaybe 2 weeks tops and eats everything and anything--even fruits and veggies :)

For those of you with Kids...I hope I've helped you...for those of you without kids....I hope I haven't caused you to double up on your birth control : /

No comments:

Post a Comment