Friday, August 12, 2011

Heart of Gold-Plated Honesty

I have managed to instill some form of manners in Taytum...unfortunately she finds loop holes and can turn a perfectly meaningful guesture into cold hard (unspoken) honesty.

A few weeks ago while I was getting ready she asked me "Mom? Is that what you're wearing?"  So I responded "Yeah, why?" at that moment the inner struggle showed on her face--Do I say what I think or Do I follow the "rules"?!?!  She chose both--finding a loop hole.  "Well...Nevermind...you know...'If you don't have something nice to saaaaay'"...ha. 

Last night on our way home from a BBQ she was in a sleepy/cuddly mood and was rubbing my arm...and then so "sweetly" told me "I love your squishy arms."  Note to Self:  do tri-ceps this week at the gym. 

While in the same mood on the same drive home..."I know what I'm going to get you for your birthday....it's perfect!"  It's rare that she expresses the interest in other people's thoughts, feelings, LIVES at all so I thought that her thinking into the future and wanting to gift me (usually a homemade coloring project or a wrapped DVD that I already own) was sweet...until she finished the conversasion...ugh
"Ohhhh...nevermind..I don't think I will be able to save up the money because I'm already saving to buy stuff for my doll-house...should I just tell you what I was GOING to get for you?"  (Sure--it's the thought that counts right?!?)  "Proactive!  Isn't that perfect?!  It gets rid of zits!  Because isn't it weird that none of your friends have zits but you DOOOO?!?" 

Ahhhhh....kids



2 comments: