Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What's the Politically Correct way to say "kids are stupid"?

In approximately 2 weeks Tayter Tot will be NINE--this makes me both joyful and nauseous.  Joyful because I've succeeded in keeping something alive that long (I've had 3 house plants in my adult life and 0 have lived to share their autobiographies)  and nauseous because I almost have no idea how 9 years just passed by--there's a lot of wine involved in raising kids...
I do flash-back to her younger years often and I was recently discussing with a friend/fellow parent the "joys" of parenting young toddlers.
I will warn those of you with young children (<2) and those of you without children that may someday acquire one...the person who coined the phrase "Terrible 2's" either killed their kid or gave it away because 3's are way worse...and while we're being honest...4's are not a cake-walk either (sorry).
BUT--there is an enormous decrease in their asshole qualities somewhere around 4 1/2-5yrs of age and they are more tolerable and quite a bit more enjoyable to play with, converse with, etc.
HOWEVER---Kids are stupid--it is a scientific fact.  I wouldn't be contributing to the efforts of suicide/homicide prevention if I didn't share this with those of you who haven't figured it out or haven't experienced it first hand so this is your warning...KIDS ARE STUPID--it will frustrate you far less if you remember this.  (Again--Parenting By Becca classes are fully booked, I apologize).
This weekend we joined my sister for a slumber party at a house where she was dog-sitting.  This dog is a mix of a Great Dane and an English Bulldog--it's a "puppy" and weighs the same as Taytum but is 99.8% muscle and dominated all of us quickly.
Taytum wanted to play on the trampoline in the backyard but was afraid the dog would attack her so Robin assured her it was okay because there was an invisible fence around the yard blocking the trampoline off so the dog couldn't bother her.
PAUSE
Taytum is mostly smart--she does very well in school and can USUALLY catch on quickly...this was NOT one of those times and it led Robin and I spending almost 30 minutes of our lives telling her what invisible fencing was...it didn't matter...due to the scientific fact of kids being stupid.--I now know why "Because I said so" was so popular and I intend to use it more often effective immediately.
UN-PAUSE
We look out the window to see Taytum walking with her hands in front of her trying to make her way to the trampoline feeling out the air.

Robin:  What are you doing?
Tay: Trying to find the invisible fence
Robin: You can't feel it...
Tay:  How will I get to the trampoline?
Robin: Just go..
Tay:  Won't I get shocked?!?

KIDS ARE STUPID...funny...but stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment